Wire EDM & Wire Erosion Specialists
For nearly 40 years H V Wooding has specialised in Wire Erosion / Electronic Discharge Machining, where we have developed the highest levels of expertise to become true market leaders.
Ongoing investments into our Wire Eroding services mean we remain at the forefront of this technology.
- An Electrical Discharge Machine (EDM) is utilised in a manufacturing process widely used in the precision cutting of components for various industries including electronic manufacturing, medical, aerospace and military sectors. The process consists of the creation of an electrical spark to precisely cut complex, detailed and smaller shapes that wouldn’t be possible with conventional cutting machines.
- An EDM machine doesn’t actually contact the surface it’s working on. Precision cutting is achieved by the reaction between an electrode and the surface metal. This creates an electrical spark that is directed with immense precision and control. The spark produces a heat so intense that it literally melts away the metal to create the desired shape.
- During the cutting process, the electrode is immersed in deionised water which acts as an insulator, cooling and flushing away the eroded particles.
- Wire cutting is a precise, high-speed cutting technique that delivers precision cut shapes in the shortest time possible. This advantage greatly reduces production costs.
- Thanks to computer-generated programmes, wire cutting is an incredibly reliable process. It is 100% accurate as the wire electrode is constantly fed from a spool resulting in identical cutting patterns every time.
- Not only is the EDM process itself faster, but the precise cutting methods won’t leave sharp edges or burrs that conventional machines often do so no additional filing or sanding is needed.
- Because there is no contact between the wire and the surface material, extremely thin pieces can be cut without the risk of stress or distortion.
- A wire cutting EDM machine is ideal for cutting exotic materials such as medical-grade metals, titanium, aluminium alloys and copper. It can also cut harder metals that conventional machines can’t manage which also eliminates the need for heat treatment after the cutting process is complete.
- The precision abilities mean that multiple layers can be stacked and cut in one go, resulting in a faster turnover and reduced production costs.
H V Wooding produce a varied scope of wire eroded components from prototyping and small batches for F1 to volume production for multinationals across sectors including Aerospace, Medical, Research, Automotive, Electric Motors, Electric & Hybrid vehicles & Defence. We have expertise in motor laminations via Electronic Discharge Machining (EDM) – in the form of individual pieces and pre-bonded stacks. Read more on our Laminations page.
Experts in wire erosion
We have experts on hand to add value to your project, offering technical advice and support from prototyping to volume production. Our 24-hour EDM operation ensures fast turn around and expert ongoing technical support is provided. Our facilities include the latest Charmilles wire EDM machines with automatic wire feed, submerged cutting and large beds for multi-loading. These machines utilise the latest generator technology for optimal surface finish and tolerance.
- Exceptional technical knowledge & nearly 40 years of wire erosion experience
- Evolved processes for volume production
- Expert technical advice and demonstrations
- Prototype components and tooling
- ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO45001 approved. FMEA / SPC
- Reverse engineering for special projects
- Specialists in wire eroded laminations for high-end motors (Aerospace, F1, Defence)
- High-quality metrology department with CMM and Quick Scope – read more
- Electrical Steels – ranging from 0.1mm to 1.0mm thick – Silicon & Cobalt Irons- pre-glued material (Suralac 9000)
- Tolerances from +/- 5 microns
- Automatic wire feeding and submerged cutting
- Large loading area – up to 500mm diameter & 200mm depth
Science & Research - CERN
A twin-aperture, 10 m long, prototype magnet was designed by CERN to gain experience in the construction of full scale twin-aperture Dipole Magnets. HV Wooding were given the task to produce the Twin-aperture Dipole magnet Laminations. Click to read a Case study demonstrating our ongoing work with CERN on the Large Hadron Collider - and the positive impact from our input.
Ventilator Challenge UK
British engineering firms were called on to switch to making medical ventilators as concern grew about the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. This follows an appeal by Boris Johnson, who held an emergency conference appealing for an urgent effort to address the national shortage.
Next generation of Tidal Turbines
A Global manufacture in the “Renewables Sector” are developing the next generation of Tidal Turbines. In order to optimise engineering performance they needed a partner to help facilitate both the design and manufacturing solution of “Laminate Sections” for the Permanent Magnet Generator.
High Volume of Metal Stampings and Busbars
A leading Global manufacturer of Electrical Automation and Control Solutions have a high volume of Metal Stampings and Busbars used within their product groups. These include regular repeat items and also spot ordered parts that are delivered to multiple locations.
“Hybrid Drivetrain” for Motorsport and Transportation applications
A Global manufacturer of “Hybrid Drivetrain” for Motorsport and Transportation applications. A key market for flywheel energy storage technology is the public transport sector. This technology can save fuel and reduce green house gas emissions by up to 30% in a city bus for example.
Strategic outsourcing partner
A leading international manufacturer of electrical accessories were producing all components in house. In order to focus on core activities and increase profitability, they needed a strategic outsourcing partner that they could trust. After a detailed evaluation, they decided to outsource all presswork components to HV Wooding.
Related articles and news
Investing in Quality
To assist the constantly evolving challenges that face our highly experienced quality team at H V Wooding, we have recently invested in the super accurate Trimos height gauge and the Vision inspection system ‘InspecVision Planer’ for fast and accurate measurement of multiple parts.
Electric Vehicle boost for HVW
Having been given a glimpse of a potential future should we make the switch to Electric Vehicles - with less air pollution and improved air quality being documented during the COVID-19 lockdown - more buyers are realising the benefits of moving away from petrol and diesel cars.