A worldwide manufacturer of Wind Turbines, developing the Generator Busbars for the next generation of offshore 7MW machines.
The increasing demands on cost of electricity and reliability in the sector required an innovative approach.
- Customer design was difficult to manufacture and very expensive.
- Develop a cost effective manufacturing solution for complex ring rolling and assembly. Including Brazing and testing.
- Ensure that Busbar assemblies were fully insulated.
- Ensure that production solution guaranteed 100% “on time in full” delivery performance. (High penalty clauses in contract)
- Review design criteria and areas for improvement with customer design engineers.
- Proposed new design for Busbars and packaging solution.
- Developed production solution for ring rolling, insulation, brazing and assembly.
- Provided samples for evaluation and testing.
- Framework agreement in place for future supply.
Brief description of what difference we made… immediately and longer term:
- Introduced a greatly improved technical and commercial solution.
- HV Wooding technical resource steered design with engineering group
- Improved assembly time at customer site
- Reliable supply chain in place.
- Customer benefitted by working with HV Wooding technical resource to give substantial technical improvement.
- Saving the client up to 50% – comparing initial design to engineered solution.
- Guaranteed 100% delivery performance – ensuring customer optimises manufacturing throughput.
#renewableenergy #busbars #assembly