A Global manufacture in the “Renewables Sector” are developing the next generation of Tidal Turbines. In order to optimise engineering performance they needed a partner to help facilitate both the design and manufacturing solution of “Laminate Sections” for the Permanent Magnet Generator.
- Very difficult to manufacture and achieve the required tolerances.
- Design was inheritably expensive.
- Required a number of different manufacturing processes for individual parts and assembly.
- Needed to prove concept prior to production.
- Engage in design review with customer, offered an alternative approach.
- Produced a “Wire Eroded” prototype for evaluation and test.
- Agreed quality requirement for all sub-components & assembly
- Provided fully integrated manufacturing solution to included Tooling, Stamping, CNC Machining, Special Purpose Machine & Assembly
- Managed external supply chain for shot blasting and painting.
Brief description of what difference we made… immediately and longer term:
- Customer optimised the design, both technically and commercially.
- One supplier for a range of different manufacturing process.
- Manufacturing and subcontract managed by HV Wooding
- Production solution capable of meeting demanding quality requirements.
- Impact of a 25% cost reduction with greatly improved design and manufacturing process for Laminate Sections
- Significantly reduced costs, simplified supply chain with single source for a wide range of components and the final Assembly.
- Considerable enhancement in product reliability and performance increasing business opportunities and growth for customer.
#renewableenergy #wireerosion #laminations #stamping #pressworkandtooling #assembly