High-quality Busbar manufacturer with flexible short lead-time service
We manufacture copper and aluminium busbars for switchgear components, control panels, panel boards, fuse gear, and transformers.
A leading UK manufacturer, our scope of manufacturing techniques enable us to produce a huge variety of bespoke, customised busbars to specification. This includes major projects incorporating thousands of variants, to single part demand with little or zero tooling costs.
Combining the expertise of our technical team with state-of-the-art equipment and a customer-centric approach, we deliver superior specification products to a variety of sectors.
Quality is key. As a leader in British Manufacturing, H V Wooding are a fully accredited JOSCAR supplier, accredited to ISO9001:2015 OHAS 18001 and 14001:2015. We are members of the SMMT, the Confederation of British Metal Forming, British Safety Council and Fit for Nuclear.
A leading busbar manufacturer, we have the most advanced manufacturing equipment available and can offer exceptionally high levels of delivery performance.
We have many years’ experience of inheriting the production of copper busbars from large OEMs (component transfer) and offer a very rapid response service, even with short lead-times using state-of-the-art EHRT Punching & Forming Machines.
Flexible yet tough, with excellent conductivity properties, copper is a popular choice of metal used for construction, power generation and the manufacture of electrical components such as wiring and laminated busbars.
- Durable and strong, copper will last for years without losing its performance capabilities. It can withstand short circuit electrical currents and the high pressure of thermal applications and there’s less risk of mechanical damage.
- Copper is also a soft and flexible metal, making it easy to work with, allowing it to be moulded and formed into any shape.
- It has good corrosion resistance to environmental factors such as air, salt and water. These properties make it one of the most durable and mechanically strong metals there is.
- Copper is one of the most efficient and reliable metals used in industry today. Some weaker metals suffer from ‘creep’, meaning they gradually deform under constant stress over time. This can occur around connecting points and can lead to overheating and fire risks. Another problem with some other metals is fatigue failure: when constant vibrations during the manufacturing process can result in scratches and dents to the surface of the metal. Copper is creep resistant and will not deform or dent, making it a safer metal to use in electrical manufacturing. Its durability and superior performance makes it a cost effective metal to use for precision engineering components.
- Due to its high electrical conductivity, copper effectively carries heat, limiting the amount of energy that is lost. This in turn, cuts down carbon emissions and energy costs.
- Copper also has excellent thermal conductivity and heat transfer properties, so it is often used in solar water heating and air conditioning systems.
- It is 100% recyclable and can be used over and over again without losing its quality or integrity. It is an incredibly compact metal and thin metal, saving space and reducing material wastage and production costs.
Aluminium is used for busbar production where final weight is a consideration. We have produced many millions of aluminium busbars for a great many applications including the power conversion, rail, marine and aerospace industries.
Aluminium busbars can be used for transformers and are often produced for electrical panel boards and distribution boards.
Flexible Busbars are made by a unique endless loop system, they have many technical advantages over other styles of flexible Bars in their capability and performance. They are made from thin usually soft copper which is then wound and compressed to thickness to give the relevant cross-sectional area required to carry the desired current.
Value Added Busbar services
- We offer busbar assembly services to complement our inhouse production.
- Insulated Busbars – services include powder coating / epoxy coating, heat shrink sleeving and electroplating in tin, silver and nickel to suit your requirements.
Applications range from the use of polyolefin and PVC for 11KVA switchgear used within the energy and rail sectors to complex busbars for EV/Hybrid battery systems that are selectively coated with a range of insulation materials including resicoat EL HGC20R and Nylon BB for ratings of between 1.5 and 5KV.
Science & Research - CERN
A twin-aperture, 10 m long, prototype magnet was designed by CERN to gain experience in the construction of full scale twin-aperture Dipole Magnets. HV Wooding were given the task to produce the Twin-aperture Dipole magnet Laminations. Click to read a Case study demonstrating our ongoing work with CERN on the Large Hadron Collider - and the positive impact from our input.
Ventilator Challenge UK
British engineering firms were called on to switch to making medical ventilators as concern grew about the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. This follows an appeal by Boris Johnson, who held an emergency conference appealing for an urgent effort to address the national shortage.
Next generation of Tidal Turbines
A Global manufacture in the “Renewables Sector” are developing the next generation of Tidal Turbines. In order to optimise engineering performance they needed a partner to help facilitate both the design and manufacturing solution of “Laminate Sections” for the Permanent Magnet Generator.
High Volume of Metal Stampings and Busbars
A leading Global manufacturer of Electrical Automation and Control Solutions have a high volume of Metal Stampings and Busbars used within their product groups. These include regular repeat items and also spot ordered parts that are delivered to multiple locations.
“Hybrid Drivetrain” for Motorsport and Transportation applications
A Global manufacturer of “Hybrid Drivetrain” for Motorsport and Transportation applications. A key market for flywheel energy storage technology is the public transport sector. This technology can save fuel and reduce green house gas emissions by up to 30% in a city bus for example.
Strategic outsourcing partner
A leading international manufacturer of electrical accessories were producing all components in house. In order to focus on core activities and increase profitability, they needed a strategic outsourcing partner that they could trust. After a detailed evaluation, they decided to outsource all presswork components to HV Wooding.
Related articles and news
Investing in Quality
To assist the constantly evolving challenges that face our highly experienced quality team at H V Wooding, we have recently invested in the super accurate Trimos height gauge and the Vision inspection system ‘InspecVision Planer’ for fast and accurate measurement of multiple parts.
Electric Vehicle boost for HVW
Having been given a glimpse of a potential future should we make the switch to Electric Vehicles - with less air pollution and improved air quality being documented during the COVID-19 lockdown - more buyers are realising the benefits of moving away from petrol and diesel cars.